Thursday, December 13, 2007

9/11: Simply Unforgettable

I was in grade 5, in sciences class with Mr. Mcdonald. He was the type of teacher who had no control over our class. We didn't hear about it until the afternoon. I remember my teacher into the class late with the TV, so we were all extremely happy because we figured no science work, just watching a movie! Then he gave us a lecture before playing it about how it wasn't a happy sight to see, but it was the talk of the world. Our teacher seemed to be a bit of an emotional wreck, September 11th definitely hit him hard. I was more confused than anything. I never even knew what the trade towers were before September 11th. I remember walking home so fast staring in the sky, looking for planes because everyone said the CN tower was next. When i got home it was all over the news, every single channel. I was so sick of watching it. After a while i realised my mom was really shaken up, it had never occurred to me that half my family lives all over New York State, just 2 hours away from Time Square.

Everyone has different ways to deal with tragedies such as 9/11. Some famous singers decided to write songs and sing them to the world, to help themselves and eventually others. Alan Jackson decided to write a song called "Where Were You". This song was heavily criticized for the world to decide whether it was touching or tacky. Personally, I believe it was not tacky, if this is how Alan Jackson needs to help himself get through this tragedy then let him be! When will the media stop complaining?... people complain about how terrible our music is nowadays, how its always giving out bad messages, and then when ever someone tries to sing about something good, they get criticized saying its tacky! I believe this song describes a vivid variety of the manifestations of grief.

Movie directors also saw 9/11 as an opportunity to make movies, such as “United 93” and “World Trade Centre”. I think it is a tough call about these movies and whether they were created to make money, or for the memory on 9/11. Unlike artists directors don’t need to make us a visual to deal with things.
Personally, I think “United 93” seems to make you look at 9/11 through the eyes of the people on the planes. Therefore, it makes you see things differently, which I like. The part where the stewardess is talking about how she just wants to see her kids, really made me think. Imagine waiting for your mom to come home from work, and then you find out she’s never going to make it home. Imagine answering the phone and having your dad tell you he’s on a high jacked plane and wouldn’t be coming home. That would be awful! I really don’t have a clear opinion of whether this was created for money or not. The movie looks rather sad, but it is also the typical Hollywood movie.
As for “World Trade Centre”, I think that this is more of a “Hollywood” movie. Especially with the wording at the end, “The world saw evil that day, two men saw something else”. Was their actually two men that they talked to which inspired this movie? Or did they just make up two men that they knew they could make money off of. This movie also contributes to our study of “beyond good and evil” because this movie shows us that “the world saw evil that day”, which is contributing to stereotypes.

Work Cited
Unknown Artist. “9/11.” Sept 11th, 2001. Online Image. Art De Vany. 14 January 2008.

No comments: