Monday, November 26, 2007

How Oblivious to Media are You?

It’s amazing how when you’re not aware of something in your life you don’t notice it. Yet once someone makes you aware of it, you see it everywhere you go. Then you think it’s a coincidence that it is appearing everywhere, meanwhile it was always there you just never noticed it, and now you are consciously aware of it.
So what does it mean to be consciously aware? Let me give you an example. Last week in class I learned about a guy named Mike Vick. I had never heard of Mike Vick before in my life. Then, on Friday night, I was at work, it was pretty slow so I was just listening to the radio. All of a sudden, a rap song came on KISS FM. It was a song I’d never heard before because I don’t normally listen to that station. Anyways, in the middle of the song, the guy rapped “I can throw down like Mike Vick”. I couldn’t believe it! I had never heard of this guy before, and now I’m randomly hearing about him on the radio.
During this past weekend I didn’t have much time to do anything, so I was in the same surroundings all weekend. It was homework and Adventure Village all weekend. I noticed that my work advertises Pepsi ore than any other product. Between our pop machines and huge Pepsi signs everywhere, there is not much room for anything else. I also noticed that even though Pepsi is advertised everywhere, some people are truly oblivious to it. Everyday, at least one person comes to the snack bar and asks for coke; meanwhile, we all know Coke and Pepsi are never both sold in the same place. People don’t notice the advertisements because they see them so often and they’re not consciously aware of the advertisements around them!
Through out the weekend I also noticed that people automatically look at our signs with pictures of food, instead of reading the list of all the foods and prices because they know exactly what they are looking for. People always come to the counter and say “can I have one of those ice cream cones on the poster over there?” and when I ask them which flavour they want, they respond with “I don’t know the one on the poster,” so they want what they see, they don’t even know what flavour it is!
While I was at home, I looked around my house for things involving media. The first thing I noticed was magazines that were in my living room. It made me laugh when the first words I read on the cover were “back to school must haves” letting us students know that we mush have what’s in style, what everyone else is going to have.
Later that day, I was watching Ellen, and she read an email from a viewer that asked her to change the commercials for her show. The commercial was the “Empire Today” carpet commercial, which I can say I do know off-by-heart. The commercial is ridiculously overplayed.
Personally, I think I experienced a lot of media considering I was only at two places all weekend! On a regular weekend, when I’m out doing things, I must experience a lot more media then I should.
Work Cited
Unknown Artist. "Pepsi Logo". Unknown Date. Online image. Cherryflava - trends and innovation. 12 January 2008.

No comments: